With the weather hitting below zero degrees, winter is in full swing and mostly people stop thinking about the maintenance of their lawn believing that there is no use in it. Carmel, Indiana lawns are hidden under the snow and the growth remains dormant for the entire season. With proper winterization of your lawn and your trees and shrubs, you can rest assured knowing that they are still alive and sustaining the cold temperatures. Taking special care of your lawns during the harsh winters can help you have a lush, beautiful, green yard this spring. Here are some wonderful tips to help take the right steps at the right time.
- Keep your lawns always clean and neat. Do not leave any of the objects including toys, dry leaves, clutters or any leftovers on your lawn as it can choke the grass leading to several ill-effects thus welcoming mice, insects or even seriously damaging pests.
- Limit excessive traffic on the grass during the harsh season of the year. Especially in winters, foot traffic must be prevented or lowered down as there are chances of late recovery time if the path becomes excessively worn out. For this, you can always keep the sidewalks clean without ice or snow so that the guests can freely walk on it instead of stamping onto the lawn.
- To protect your lawn and to keep it green throughout the year, it is important to consider it as a ‘No Parking’ spot. Even the smallest vehicle can kill the grass that is left helpless under the tires. This in turn leads to the growth of different types of weeds as well crabgrass thus destroying the entire space gradually.
- Make sure when you are outside, you are paying attention to the branches that may be above your head. If you were unable to prune them back before the cold weather hit, be sure that you are creating a safety route around the trees as the weight of snow and ice along with weakened branches could lead to breaks.
- Spread the importance of your lawn to everyone at home and give respect and utmost care to it during the dormant months.
- If you are applying salt onto your walkways and driveways, try to avoid having the salt land in the lawn, flower bushes and other areas where plants are living. While the salt is great at deicing the ground, it can also cause damage to your plants.
So stay warm, stay safe, and have a wonderful 2018!