With the change in seasons naturally come changes to your landscaping maintenance. In addition to final mowing, fall is the time to think about cleaning up your property, removing fallen leaves and preparing for the winter ahead.
Fall cleanup is important for several reasons:
- Preventing Disease: Removing dead plant material, fallen leaves, and other debris from your garden helps to reduce the risk of diseases. Many plant diseases, fungi, and pests can overwinter in dead leaves and plant debris. Cleaning up your garden in the fall can prevent these issues from becoming major problems in the spring.
- Promoting Plant Health: Pruning dead or diseased branches, cutting back perennials, and removing spent annuals can promote plant health. It allows the plants to direct their energy and resources toward healthy growth instead of maintaining dying or diseased parts.
- Preparing for Spring Growth: A thorough fall cleanup prepares your garden for spring. By clearing away debris and applying mulch, you’re providing a clean, fertile environment for new growth when spring arrives. This can lead to stronger, more vibrant plants.
- Preventing Pest Habitat: Insects and small animals often find shelter in piles of leaves and debris. Cleaning up your garden eliminates hiding spots for pests like rodents and insects, reducing the chances of infestations in your garden.
- Lawn Health: Fall cleanup is essential for lawn health too. Raking leaves prevents your grass from suffocating under a heavy, wet blanket of leaves. It allows the grass to breathe, preventing mold growth and ensuring a healthier lawn in the spring.
- Maintaining Aesthetics: A well-maintained garden enhances the overall appearance of your property. Cleaning up your garden in the fall keeps your outdoor space looking neat and attractive, even during the winter months.
- Preparing for Winter: Fall cleanup tasks such as cleaning gutters and protecting outdoor furniture help prepare your entire property for the harsh winter weather. This preparation can prevent damage and ensure that everything is in good condition when spring arrives.
Fall cleanup is crucial for a healthy, green lawn next year. If you don’t want to spend the time picking up leaves, we will tackle the hard work so you can appreciate the simple joys in life. We are happy to discuss the best ways you can plan and prepare in autumn to protect your valuable landscape through the winter – making sure it will be ready to spring back vigorously next year.